Join Our Team
MOXIE Theatre is seeking candidates passionate about the arts as well as diversity, equity, and inclusion for the following positions:
EXECUTIVE ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
MOXIE Theatre, a game-changing, equity-driven, launchpad for women+ in theatre, is opening the curtain and inviting a new leader to step into the spotlight. Now in our 18th season, we’re looking for an innovative theatre arts leader, who is passionate about gender equality, committed to anti-racism, and ON FIRE for MOXIE’s mission to create more diverse and honest images of women+ for our culture. A leader who is prepared to take the next step in their career and lead our award-winning company into our next chapter. MOXIE’s present Executive Artistic Director, along with the other three founding members, committed to building the organization in order to pass it forward. Now we’re stronger than ever, with a committed board and staff, financial stability, and a culture of respect and gratitude. We’re passing the torch forward to our next Executive Artistic Director. Applicants of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
MOXIE Theatre is located in San Diego in a 99-seat theatre. Our production history reflects our commitment to seeking and supporting new work. We’re dedicated to producing work written by women+ and to providing career opportunities to women+ in theatre, especially in areas of leadership and technical theatre, with a commitment to 50% BIPOC representation in our production and artistic teams. We use “women+” to acknowledge and make space for all underrepresented genders. Our company culture is firmly rooted in respecting the whole person by honoring lived experience, embracing access needs, and celebrating parents and caregivers. If you can’t focus in a meeting where someone is breastfeeding, MOXIE may not be your jam.
Qualities & Skills MOXIE Is Looking For
- A passion for MOXIE’s mission
- A deep respect for people’s lived experiences and identity, and a desire to continue to learn and evolve.
- A deep appreciation for and knowledge of theatre including 3 or more years of professional theatre experience
- 3 or more years of non-profit management experience
- Knowledge of all areas of professional theatre production.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent time management, organizational and planning skills
- Experience working with financial reports and budget management
- Experience with and passion for both fundraising and marketing
- Strong problem-solving skills
Full Roles & Responsibilities
Artistic Leadership & Vision
- Lead MOXIE in re-examining its mission and further developing its vision, as an organization focused on gender equality.
- Ensure MOXIE upholds its mission and values as an anti-racist organization committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion, in all aspects of artistic process and production.
- Uphold MOXIE’s rich history of artistic bravery and excellence by overseeing all stages of artistic programming and hiring and offering guidance at key stages during the artistic process to make sure everything we produce has moxie.
- Assume primary responsibility for MOXIE’s Artistic Programming including setting short and long-term artistic goals, researching, selecting, and securing plays for production, and developing the season calendar.
- Leverage and further knowledge of new and emerging plays, playwrights, and talent locally, across the U.S., and internationally to fulfill MOXIE’s mission and expand the voices, perspectives, and ideas presented in MOXIE’s programming.
- Lead the development of MOXIE’s seasonal artistic budget in collaboration with MOXIE’s Production Manager and hold the company accountable for staying on budget throughout the course of the season. Budgeting is badass.
- Represent MOXIE at all company events and key community events and build relationships with artists and community leaders.
Executive & Strategic Leadership
- Lead the organization, in collaboration with the Board of Directors and staff, in the development and implementation of a new strategic plan for the next chapter in MOXIE’s history.
- Act as the staff representative and report directly to the Board of Directors, attending meetings, providing financial and artistic reports, and building relationships with and engagement of all board members. Wine is sometimes involved.
- Oversee MOXIE’s finances and financial planning, in collaboration with the staff and Board of Directors, including the development and implementation of the annual operating budget,
- In collaboration with the Development Director, serve as a key fundraiser for the organization and cultivate and nurture relationships with individual and institutional funders, and expand the network of supporters to realize MOXIE’s mission.
- Guide and support all marketing and public relations plans in collaboration with MOXIE’s Marketing Manager to build MOXIE’s brand, enhance audience growth and increase public awareness of our programming and mission.
- Ensure that the appropriate business plans, systems, and resources are in place to support the organization’s strategic mission, vision, values, and goals.
- Provide day-to-day management and mentorship to the staff and encourage professional and career development, celebrating successes big and small.
- Guide and oversee the staff in human resource policies and procedures and other internal organizational management practices to foster a balanced, secure, and well-run organization.
- Make time to grab a cup of coffee with a staff member, scratch the belly of Snoopy the box office dog or hold the baby that may be in the office that day so you can work.
- Creative and dynamic engagement with artists, employees, volunteers, donors, and patrons.
- Fast-paced and quickly evolving.
- Requires a balance of independent work and collaboration.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
- Flexibility to work remotely for some hours.
- Inclusive and diverse culture which celebrates access needs and unique perspectives.
- Family-oriented. MOXIE honors working parents and caregivers by offering opportunities to staff and artists to continue to work and balance the challenges of caregiving.
Salary: Salaried position of $70-80,000
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A cover letter sharing why you are a great fit for this position
- Your resume/curriculum vitae
Review of applications and interviews will begin on 12/15.
COVID-19 Safety Policy
For the health and safety of our community of theatre lovers and theatre makers, MOXIE is joining theatres across the country in setting the highest standards for health and safety. All guests attending the show and post-show workshops in-person must wear a mask indoors and show proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 Rapid Antigen or PCR test before entering the theatre. See CDPH mask recommendations here.