Check out open positions at MOXIE below. If you are interested in joining our team in a different role, check back here and/or follow us on social media for updates. If you are interested in volunteering at MOXIE, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MOXIE Theatre is seeking a team focused, innovative, and detail-oriented person who is passionate about the arts and leading a non-profit organization focused on gender equality. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director will be responsible for the strategic leadership of the organization and supervising the day-to-day operations of the theater in partnership with the Artistic Director. This is a newly created position at MOXIE and its journey will be a collaborative one.
Position Type: Exempt, full time salaried
Benefits: Ability to work remotely as needed, Ability to set your own working hours (with the exception of attendance at scheduled events and board meetings), Competitive vacation, holiday, and sick paid time off, A family-friendly working environment in which the realities and experience of caregiving are considered assets and strengths to be respected.
Start Date: February 2022
Applications: Please send resume, three references and cover letter telling us why you are a great fit for MOXIE to email@example.com.
Role and Responsibilities
Strategic and Organizational Priorities
- In conjunction with the Board, Artistic Director (AD), and staff, the Managing Director (MD) will oversee the implementation of MOXIE’s Strategic plan and vision, including updating the board and working collaboratively with the team to revise and update the plan as needed.
- Ensure that MOXIE Theatre’s resources and efforts are aligned with MOXIE’s mission and values.
- Work alongside MOXIE’s AD to implement MOXIE’s Anti-Racist action plan and to uphold MOXIE’s commitment to being an anti-racist organization.
Increase the visibility of the theater in the San Diego community and professional theatre world by being an ambassador for the organization at large.
- In partnership with the AD, determine priorities and objectives for MOXIE’s staff and volunteers.
Participate in Board meetings and report organizational finances. Be primary staff contact on various board committees including the executive committee and others as necessary.
- Attend company functions on weekends and/or evenings, such as first rehearsals, design runs, first previews, and opening nights.
- Ensure that box office and other front-of-house activities show sensitivity to patron needs.
- Negotiate and execute all contracts on behalf of the organization.
- Serve as the main contact to various unions including but not limited to Actor’s Equity Association (AEA), United Scenic Artists, and the Stage Directors and Choreographers (SDC).
Human Resources and Finance
- Assess current financial and human resource policies, decisions, and practices to ensure the organization is in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and city laws and regulations. Make recommendations for, and lead organizational improvements, in these areas.
- Directly supervise the Accounting Associate, managing and overseeing all financial reporting and record-keeping.
- Lead the organization’s annual budget process by analyzing current and prior years expenses, estimate costs of future productions (with support from the AD and Production Manager), and provide the board of directors a comprehensive budget.
- Determine effective metrics to evaluate overall organizational performance.
- Prepare and present financial results for the organization on a monthly basis to the finance committee, Treasurer, and Board.
- Ensure the organization adheres to operating and financial procedures in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other financial controls.
- Review and maintain a comprehensive staff handbook and personnel policy in accordance with applicable laws; making changes as necessary.
- Recruit, hire and supervise administrative positions and assist the AD as needed for production hiring.
- Supervise the creation and management of employment contracts, including those for actors, designers, technical staff, and unions, paying close attention to CA AB5.
- Working with the payroll company, distribute and collect mandatory tax forms for all permanent and temporary employees.
- Oversee the generation and distribution of 1099s for all artists and production
Staff in conjunction with the Accounting Associate and payroll company.
- Track and manage MOXIE’s checking and savings accounts and make financial deposits on a regular basis, making sure appropriate backup is preserved in the cloud.
- Track and manage MOXIE’s bill payments, memberships, and dues.
- Oversee the timely renewal of all of MOXIE’s insurance policies.
- Ensure that all necessary reporting for Workers Compensation is submitted in conjunction with the Accounting Associate.
- Work closely with the Development Director to cultivate major donors, sponsors, foundations, and corporate leaders for annual and longer-term support and ensure accurate recording and reporting procedures.
- Provide leadership on any special campaigns including feasibility studies, campaign strategy.
- In collaboration with the Development Director and Artistic Director, identify and prioritize fundraising opportunities for MOXIE’s productions and programming.
- Supervise timely preparation and delivery of required financial budgets and reports to funders requiring them.
- Working in conjunction with the Production Manager to determine the availability, pricing, and contracts of MOXIE’s facilities for rental to community organizations.
- Act as primary contact with the property manager & property owners in regards to MOXIE’s lease and negotiate any future renewals or changes to MOXIE’s lease (currently in effect through September 1, 2024).
- Communicating with property management and appropriate contractors for any maintenance, repairs, or improvements made to MOXIE’s facilities.
- Ensuring that all regulations for fire and safety are continuing to be met and that the facilities continue to be compliant with ADA regulations.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Manager to define marketing strategy, tactics and programs, with input from the AD.
- Determine and measure earned revenue goals in partnership with the Marketing Manager, Box Office, and Sales Manager and with input from the AD.
- Ensure that programs (including education, community programs, group outreach), marketing tactics, and graphic design support MOXIE Theatre’s mission, brand, and strategic objectives.
Who are we looking for?
This role is ideal for an early career theatre management or non-profit professional with an appreciation for the arts and a passion for gender equality, diversity, and inclusion. The Managing Director will make a strong imprint on MOXIE’s brand and future, at an exciting stage in its growth as an organization. While we envision this to be a full time position, we would consider a slightly reduced schedule based on years of experience.
Additional Areas of Expertise
- Experience and some expertise in nonprofit finances
- Understanding and appreciation of project management and organizational excellence
- Management experience
- Cultural competency
- Background in the theater industry, helpful but not mandatory
Who is MOXIE Theatre Company?
MOXIE’s mission is to create more diverse and honest images of women+ for our culture. MOXIE fulfills this mission by focusing on producing plays written by women+ and serving as a crucial pipeline for women in all areas of professional theatre, an industry that is still lacking in gender equality. Founded in 2004, MOXIE is in its 17th season and approaching its 70th production. MOXIE is a non-profit 501c3 organization with a reputation for producing award-winning and ground-breaking new plays and launching careers in acting, design, technical theatre, and theatre administration. MOXIE prides itself on being an organization focused on the “whole person.” What this means to MOXIE is that caregivers and parents are honored and intersectional identities and access needs are celebrated.
Current casting call with Character descriptions listed at www.moxietheatre.com/casting. General casting submissions may be sent on an ongoing basis to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Play submissions may be sent to email@example.com.